DCSIMG

Warning after bin self-combusts

Latest news from lep.co.uk

Latest news from lep.co.uk

Gardeners are being warned to be careful where they leave their garden waste bins.

It comes after firefighters were called to a bin on fire at The Barn in The Square, Scorton, at 7.45am on Monday.

Crews believe the contents of the bin self-combusted due to hot conditions.

Lancaster Watch Manager John Holmes said: “Because of the hot weather, fine grass cuttings that have not been collected for up to two weeks are deteriorating quite quickly, and they can self-combust, in the same way barn fires start.

“Luckily in this recent case, the bin wasn’t up against a wall or a fence, but if it had been, the fire could have spread easily and it could have been serious.

“I urge residents to think about where they put bins.”

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page