Toddler died in tragic accident at her home

FIREPLACE TRAGEDY: Chanel Garner

FIREPLACE TRAGEDY: Chanel Garner

0
Have your say

A three-year-old girl died in a tragic accident when a heavy fireplace fell on her at her home.

Little Chanel Garner suffered severe head injuries and later died in hospital.

An inquest at Lancaster Magistrates’ Court heard that police and paramedics were called to Euston Grove, Morecambe, on August 14 following reports a three-year-old girl was injured by a fireplace.

The court heard Chanel was at home with her mum Dezarelle Kellett and her twin sisters when the tragic accident occurred just before noon.

Dezarelle was taking the twins upstairs for an afternoon nap when she heard a loud bang downstairs when the fireplace had fallen off and struck her daughter Chanel.

Det Insp Jason Richardson, who was at the scene, said: “The fireplace was a heavy item, I believe it was a type of stone, I’m not sure if it was pretend stone, it was certainly heavy, it took three officers to move it from that address.

“Officers and myself were satisfied at the time we weren’t dealing with a suspicion incident but a tragic accident.”

Chanel was initially taken to the Royal Lancaster Infirmary where she was treated by the intensive care department headed by lead consultant Dr Christopher Till.

Dr Till told the coroner he stayed with Chanel when she was transferred to Alder Hey Hospital in Liverpool where she sadly died from brain injuries later that evening.

Leading the inquest, Coroner Sian Jones expressed her condolences to the family and concluded Chanel’s death was accidental.

Ms Jones said: “It is always difficult when a child dies, particular in a case such as this.

“Chanel was spending a cosy morning at home with her mum and younger twin sisters and had a particularly normal day playing.

“Mum had put the twins upstairs for an afternoon nap, hearing a bang downstairs when Chanel was hit by a fire surround and it was obvious she had suffered a significant bang to her head.

“Mum called the emergency services and it is clear from the emergency services that the events were an accident.

“She had suffered significant trauma which was unsurvivable and therefore treatment was ceased and Chanel died surrounded by her family.”

A verdict of accidental death was returned.