Teenager’s ‘terror’ after bedroom blaze

Destroyed: Natasha Lee's bedroom was destroyed when her hair extensions caught fire
Destroyed: Natasha Lee's bedroom was destroyed when her hair extensions caught fire
0
Have your say

A teenager has opened up about the terrifying moment her bedroom was destroyed by a blaze caused by her hair extensions.

Natasha Lee, 17, had been drying her fake locks with a hairdryer and left them on her bed while she went downstairs to start her homework.

These shocking pictures show the charred remains of a bedroom which went up in flames after HAIR EXTENSIONS caught fire. See Ross Parry Copy RPYEXTENSIONS :  Natasha Lee, 17, who had been drying her extensions with a hairdryer, left them on her bed while she went downstairs to start her homework. When she returned a few minutes later, she was horrified to find them engulfed in flames and her bedroom full of smoke.'Thomas Temple/Rossparry.co.uk

These shocking pictures show the charred remains of a bedroom which went up in flames after HAIR EXTENSIONS caught fire. See Ross Parry Copy RPYEXTENSIONS : Natasha Lee, 17, who had been drying her extensions with a hairdryer, left them on her bed while she went downstairs to start her homework. When she returned a few minutes later, she was horrified to find them engulfed in flames and her bedroom full of smoke.'Thomas Temple/Rossparry.co.uk

But she returned a few minutes later and was horrified to find them engulfed in flames.

Firefighters were called but the blaze caused extensive damage to the property.

Natasha said: “I couldn’t believe my eyes. I’d washed my hair extensions and I’d been drying them for about five minutes.

“I switched off the dryer and left them lying on my bed. I’d only been downstairs about two minutes and when I came back my room was on fire.

These shocking pictures show the charred remains of a bedroom which went up in flames after HAIR EXTENSIONS caught fire. See Ross Parry Copy RPYEXTENSIONS :  Natasha Lee, 17, who had been drying her extensions with a hairdryer, left them on her bed while she went downstairs to start her homework. When she returned a few minutes later, she was horrified to find them engulfed in flames and her bedroom full of smoke.'Thomas Temple/Rossparry.co.uk

These shocking pictures show the charred remains of a bedroom which went up in flames after HAIR EXTENSIONS caught fire. See Ross Parry Copy RPYEXTENSIONS : Natasha Lee, 17, who had been drying her extensions with a hairdryer, left them on her bed while she went downstairs to start her homework. When she returned a few minutes later, she was horrified to find them engulfed in flames and her bedroom full of smoke.'Thomas Temple/Rossparry.co.uk

“When I first saw the smoke I thought maybe it was coming from outside. I didn’t for one second think there was a fire until I turned and saw the bed.

“I ran back downstairs and called 999. It was terrifying.”

Crews arrived and the fire had broken through the first floor bedroom window and smoke and flames were venting outside. Natasha and her mum Szbtlana Froloza, 52, escaped. Natasha also rescued her dog and two cats from the flames and waited outside until the firefighters arrived at the house in Morecambe just after 8pm on Tuesday.

Natasha said: “It’s really scary to think it could have been so much worse. It’s awful that we can’t live in our house at the moment and we’ve lost so much of our belongings but we’re so grateful we’re all ok. We managed to get our pets out too and so we’re trying to focus on the positives.

“They say you learn from experience and I know I will.”

Natasha bought the brown hair extensions from EBay for £30 and they were advertised as being made from real hair.

She added: “People just don’t realise they can set on fire like that - I know I didn’t. I still don’t really know how they set alight. I think they just got too hot and then leaving them on the bed made it worse. If I hadn’t walked back upstairs when I did I dread to think what could have happened.”