Star Wars: R2-D2 hits back at C-3PO

R2D2 actor Kenny Baker poses with a light sabre for the 30th anniversary of the release of Star Wars: A New Hope
R2D2 actor Kenny Baker poses with a light sabre for the 30th anniversary of the release of Star Wars: A New Hope
Share this article
2
Have your say

A FEUD which began a long time ago in a galaxy not so far away has seen R2-D2 follow the Empire’s lead and strike back.

It’s after the war of words between the Star Wars robot and his taller counterpart C-3PO raged on with the pair again not seeing eye-to-eye - both figuratively and literally.

Supposedly never getting along, the argument resurfaced after Anthony Daniels, who plays the talking, shiny gold robot, disputed Kenny Baker, who lives in Preston and operates the pint-sized droid, had been in every Star Wars film.

That’s despite industry insiders saying that when Episode VII: The Force Awakens opens in December, the duo will be the only actors to have appeared in all seven Star Wars films, according to the Daily Mirror.

The battle between the pair has gone on as long as the fall-out between the Rebel Alliance and the Galatic Empire.

Mr Daniels, 69, had previously remained tight-lipped about the pair’s relationship but gave an interview to a national paper ahead of the latest Star Wars film’s release.

Kenny Baker with R2-D2

Kenny Baker with R2-D2

“He’s not actually on the set,” Mr Daniels told the Daily Mirror.

“I haven’t seen him for years.

“His name is on the credits as a sort of... I don’t know, a good luck charm, a courtesy. He’s a talisman.”

But Mr Baker, while giving nothing away about the latest film, insisted he is very much still part of movie’s filming.

Kenny Baker with R2-D2

Kenny Baker with R2-D2

When asked about Mr Daniels’ comments, he said: “I have nothing to do with him. We don’t see each other, we don’t live near each other, we don’t speak and we don’t have the same friends.

“I can’t say anything about the new film but I have been to the set.”

Eighty-one-year-old Mr Baker has previously accused his fellow actor of calling him a ‘little man’ for being only 3ft 8in in stature.

Mr Daniels hit back saying: “He’s been saying unpleasant things about me.

Natalie Portman & Hayden Christensen'Film still of Star Wars Episode II: Attack Of The Clones. 'See PA Feature FILM Starwars. PA Photo: HO.

Natalie Portman & Hayden Christensen'Film still of Star Wars Episode II: Attack Of The Clones. 'See PA Feature FILM Starwars. PA Photo: HO.

“I just don’t comment.”

Star Wars: The Force Awakens is set 30 years after the events of 1983’s Return Of The Jedi.

Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew and Kenny Baker are all back in their old roles.

The newcomers are Daisy Ridley and John Boyega as well as Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Max von Sydow, Lupita Nyong’o, Crystal Clarke, Pip Anderson, Christina Chong and Miltos Yerolemou.

JJ Abrams directs and the film will be released in the UK on December 17.