Safety warning after chip pan blaze averted at Preston property

A chip pan had been left unattended
A chip pan had been left unattended
Share this article

Fire officers have issued a safety warning after an unattended chip pan was close to causing a blaze at a Preston property.

A spokesman for Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service said two crews were called to Glenluce Drive in Fishwick shortly before 6.30pm on Thursday.

An elderly woman had left a pan unattended on an electric hob but neighbours spotted smoke coming from the kitchen and were able to remove it from the property.

Firefighters cleared the house of smoke although the kitchen was damaged in the incident.

The resident was able to get out of the house in good time and did not sustain any injuries or smoke inhalation, the fire service said.

The spokesman added: “First of all, residents should ensure they have working smoke alarms fitted.

“When cooking, it is safer to use a deep fat fryer rather than have oil in a pan.

“And it is important to ensure that you do not leave anything cooking on the hob unattended.”