Work is under way on a £20,000 restoration project at a church in Lancaster where the bells haven’t rung in all their glory for more than three decades.
The bell tower at the Grade II listed Christ Church, which dates back to 1857 and is based at Wyresdale Road opposite Williamson Park, will undergo a refurbishment.
The conservation project will repair the church bell fittings, while a second larger bell, which has stood unused for more than 30 years after falling in 1984, will also be re-erected in its original position.
The project has been funded through the Gregson Trust. Harrison Pitt Architects is overseeing the project while High Level Maintenance will provide access to the bell tower and carry out the repairs.