Retail hub development in Preston thrown out

Coun Brian Rollo
Coun Brian Rollo
Share this article
0
Have your say

Plans for a retail development in Preston including a food store, cafe and pub have been thrown out.

Councillors followed the advice of planning officers and rejected an application from Hollins Strategic Land LLP to develop a site on land north of Eastway.

A similar application had been refused last year and is now the subject of an appeal, and Preston Council’s planning committee voted unanimously to throw out the most recent plans.

The plans, including drive-thru restaurants and new access from Eastway, were recommended for refusal by officers for reasons including the impact on the Cottam District Centre at Cottam Brickworks, and the effect on traffic.

Chris Betteridge, planning consultant on behalf of Cottam Hall Properties - owners and developers of the Cottam Brickworks site - said the proposed hub could become a “direct competition” to the Brickworks development.

He said: “The committee is no doubt aware that the retail market is very fragile.

“In this fragile market, my client has concerns there is insufficient operator demand to support both schemes. The proposal at Cottam Brickworks must take precedent.”

Coun Brian Rollo, committee chairman, said: “It’s not in the local plan, we don’t want a proliferation of very large district centres across Preston.”

Monday’s meeting was told an appeal had been lodged on non-determination of the application, but the council hadn’t had confirmation from the inspectorate that an appeal had been received, or was valid.