Busy beautiful village down by the river
The idyllic village of St Michaels-on-Wyre is blessed with many more facilities than its size suggests it should be.
Located to the south west of Garstang where the Rivers Wyre and Brock meet, the village is popular with those who love the outdoors.
It is a great place to enjoy a walk, cycling or horse riding, and is extremely popular with anglers, boasting still water angling centres and a stretch of river where day tickets are available. St Michaels-on-Wyre also has surprisingly good sports facilities, including a tennis club and bowling. There are shops and a pub, along with a village school. The village’s most notable landmark is the church, after which the village is named. (St Michaels-on-Wyre means Church of St Michael. Wyre additionally is a Celtic river name, which means, wending one).
Tradition has it that a church was built at the crossing of the River Wyre, where the current church stands, in c.640AD, but nothing remains from that time. There is however evidence that a church was on the site in 1086, as the Domesday book records Michelscherce as one of the churches in the Hundred of Amounderness.
The earliest parts of the current yellow and red sandstone church date back to the 13th century.
The village hosts an annual gala, with a procession, crowning of the Gala Queen, live music, competitions, Maypole dancing and much more. This year’s event held in June was themed around the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee. The village was the overall champion in the Best Kept Village in Lancashire competition last year.
Tragedy came to the village in 1984 when 16 people were killed in the Abbeystead disaster, during a visit by a party from St Michael’s to a waterworks 10 miles up the River Wyre.