DCSIMG

Spotlight on Clayton-le-Woods

The Victorian reservoir on Back Lane in Clayton-le-Woods

The Victorian reservoir on Back Lane in Clayton-le-Woods

Growing village has beauty on its doorstep

The village of Clayton-le-Woods is an expanding residential area located to the east of Leyland.

It features a number of housing estates, boasting homes of all styles, as well as a range of amenities.

It is home to a couple of primary schools, public houses, a service station and shops.

And it is a leafy, green area dissected by the River Lostock – home to many birds including kingfishers.

Most notably, the village features one of the entrances 
to Cuerden Valley Wildlife Park.

The park covers about 600 acres along the valley of the

River Lostock from Whittle-le-Woods to Bamber Bridge.

It includes farmland, woods, grasslands, ponds and the river, which provide an attractive landscape and home to a 
wide variety of plants and 
animals.

There are 10 miles of footpaths, bridleways and cycleways for visitors to utilise.

Located near to the park is Cuerden Hall, currently a care home, where charcoal burning is still carried out by coppicing the nearby woods.

Other buildings of interest include the linen hand weaver’s cottages located on Sheep Hill Lane and the village school, which dates from 1744.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page

 

X scottish independence image

Keep up-to-date with all the latest Referendum news