Fire chiefs today praised Lancashire residents for being “responsible” during a quiet weekend of bonfire celebrations.
Firefighters in Lancashire reported a huge reduction in the number of bonfires they were called to this weekend compared to the same time last year.
In 2011, Bonfire Night was on a Saturday and there were 113 reports of a bonfire out of control that firefighters had to deal with.
On Saturday night, ahead of Bonfire Night today, there were just 28 bonfires that had to be extinguished.
Watch manager Mark Woodward, ofPreston Fire Station, said: “So far it has been, certainly in Preston, extremely quiet and the public have been responsible so far over the weekend in having safe bonfires and we encourage that to continue.
“Over the last few years we have been running a Bright Sparx initiative, we had the lowest calls very last year and it is looking promising so far.”
Bright Sparx is a partnership between the fire service, the police, trading standards and the council.
Mark said that by tomorrow he hopes to reflect on the figures and hopefully see a further decline.
Trevor Jenkins, crew manager at Bamber Bridge fire station, said crews there were not called out to any bonfires on Saturday night.
Karl Vietoris, watch manager at Lancaster fire station, said: “So far in the Lancaster area it has been quiet really, obviously it is not over yet. Based on Saturday night members of the public in this area are going to organised fire work displays and are not lighting their own bonfires which we are happy about.”
Chorley crew manager Scott Lee added: “Everybody seems to go to the organised displays which is much better and much safer.”