Police make second arrest following Fishergate incendiary investigation

Bomb disposal squads have entered the Fishergate Shopping Centre after hundreds of shoppers were evacuated due to a 'suspicious device going off'. Police say there are currently no further details about the nature of the device, which appears to have gone off causing no real damage and no injuries. 17 December 2015.

Bomb disposal squads have entered the Fishergate Shopping Centre after hundreds of shoppers were evacuated due to a 'suspicious device going off'. Police say there are currently no further details about the nature of the device, which appears to have gone off causing no real damage and no injuries. 17 December 2015.

Share this article
0
Have your say

A second man has been arrested in connection with an incendiary device found at the Fishergate shopping centre in Preston earlier this month.

Lancashire Police said a 24-year-old man from Ingol was arrested on suspicion of arson with intent to endanger life yesterday afternoon.

He is currently in custody.

A 27-year-old man from Preston, who was also arrested in connection with the investigation, was released on police bail until January 28.

At this stage there is not thought to be any connection between the two men.

An investigation was launched after police were called to the centre on Thursday, December 17, shortly after 9am, following reports that a crude incendiary device had been found in toilets.

The device had ignited but caused no real damage and no injuries.

DI Jane Webb, from Preston CID, said: “We have carried out a thorough investigation and as a result of our enquiries, we are satisfied this was an isolated incident with no wider, on-going threat to the public.

“A 24-year-old man has been arrested in connection with the incident and we would like to thank the public for their continued support and co-operation at the time of the incident and our subsequent investigation.”