‘There was a flash of light and I could smell smoke’ – concern after mobile charger plug goes bang

The charred plug of the lead bought to charge a Samsung S5.

The charred plug of the lead bought to charge a Samsung S5.

Share this article
1
Have your say

An 18-year-old woman was awoken when the plug of her mobile phone battery charger went bang in the night.

Kelly Wood bought a lead to charge her Samsung S5 and said: “I had been asleep and was awoken to see a flash of light and I could smell smoke. It lit up the whole room and really shocked me.

“When I looked at the plug it was black. Luckily the extension lead is a safety one and cut out the electrics and everything else or it could have been a lot worse. I did get a full refund and I’m not blaming the shop but this is an eye opener.”

Earlier this month Samsung ordered a recall of 2.5 million Note 7 devices after reports of them catching fire during charging.

In one incident, a Florida man had his mobile plugged into his truck dashboard and just managed to stop his eight-year-old daughter getting into the vehicle when he spotted it was in flames.

A spokesman for Samsung said: “Samsung takes customer queries extremely seriously and enquiries are investigated and dealt with on a case by case basis. This issue is currently being investigated and our customer services team will be in contact with the customer regarding the matter.”