More than 50% of men still get down on one knee to propose to their partner, according to new research.
A survey carried out by the online wedding guide hitched.co.uk discovered that tradition was still alive and flourishing.
Even though some men still prefer to propose in bed, at the end of a rowdy night out on the town or by text message, the majority of nervous grooms build up the courage to go all out and make it romantic - or at least think they are being romantic.
When asked if there was anything they would have changed about one of the most romantic moments of their lives, several women said a 'bigger diamond!'
Some facts about marriage proposals:
* 54% of men still get down on one knee
* 44% of men ask their partner's father for permission to marry
* 57% of men cry when she said yes
* 65% of women say he could have put more effort and preparation into the proposal
* 25% of couples wait longer than five years before taking their relationship that step further
* 23% of women have been proposed to more than once
* 69% of women thought the timing of the proposal in their relationship was perfect