Neighbours praised after man found asleep in smoke-filled house

editorial image
0
Have your say

Firefighters praised neighbours for raising the alarm after a man was led to safety from his smoke-filled home.

And the incident in Preston at around 11.30pm on Wednesday prompted a warning about cooking food after a night out.

Officers said the occupant of the property in Hawarden Street, off New Hall Lane, appeared to have put a pan of stew on the cooker and then gone into the lounge and fallen asleep in a chair.

“Thankfully the neighbours heard the smoke alarm going off and called us,” said crew manager Mick Birks.

“But the man in the house hadn’t heard it and was fast asleep when we got there.

“We looked through the letter box and could see smoke and smell burning. So we gained entry, woke him up and led him out.

“It wasn’t a rescue as such, although it could have been worse had the neighbours not heard the smoke alarm going off and raised the alarm. So well done to them.

“I think our message has got to be that if you have had a drink and you are feeling hungry late at night then have a sandwich, or a takeaway. Don’t put the cooker on and try to prepare a hot meal. It can be dangerous.

“The smoke alarm did its job - only it alerted the neighbours rather than the man himself.”