Mum’s warning to check smoke alarms

Kirsty Parker, 28, woke in the early hours of the morning to the sight of smoke filling the house she shares with her two daughters Angelia, 7, and Layla, 2.
Kirsty Parker, 28, woke in the early hours of the morning to the sight of smoke filling the house she shares with her two daughters Angelia, 7, and Layla, 2.
Share this article
0
Have your say

JUST weeks after losing her husband to cancer, a mum-of-two almost lost her home 
in a blaze.

Kirsty Parker, 28, had always relied on her husband, Chris, who had fitted their smoke alarms, to maintain them, but after his tragic death, hadn’t thought to check the devices at her home in Summer Trees Avenue, Lea.

The damage to Kirsty Parker's house

The damage to Kirsty Parker's house

And in the early hours of the morning earlier this month, Kirsty was woken to the sight of smoke filling her house.

Kirsty, a teaching assistant at Barton St Lawrence School, said: “The alarms didn’t go off and had I not woken when I did we may not have been here today.

“I didn’t know, but was told by the fire crews that you don’t have a sense of smell when you’re asleep, and that the time I woke up – 4.30am - is usually the time when you are in your deepest sleep.

“Luckily I had only gone to bed at 1.30am so perhaps wasn’t in as deep as a sleep as I would have been if I had gone to bed at the regular time.”

Kirsty managed to get her two young daughters, seven-year-old, Angelia and two-year-old Layla, outside to safety before phoning the fire brigade who stopped the fire spreading. The damage caused, mainly by smoke, is suspected to have been caused by a new pump for the fish tank bought just a few days earlier though this has not yet been confirmed. Kirsty added: “Imagining what the consequences might have been if I hadn’t woken when I did fills me with dread. We all feel safe in the knowledge that we have smoke alarms fitted in our homes, but how many of us actually check they are working?

“Please, check yours today and give yourself peace of mind.”