A mother and her two young children had a lucky escape when fire tore through the lounge of their home as they slept.
Firefighters called to the scene in Summer Trees Avenue, Lea, Preston early on Wednesday said the woman had been woken by the smell of smoke and quickly got her two toddlers out of the house.
“They were very lucky,” said a fire brigade spokesman. “We don’t know at this stage whether the smoke alarm worked, but she told us the smell of smoke woke her up.
“By the time we arrived all three were safely out of the premises. But it could have been much worse.”
The blaze started at around 4.30am and fire experts were examining the lounge area to establish a cause.
The mother and children were all taken to hospital for precautionary check-ups.