MP for Chorley Lindsay Hoyle attended a parliamentary drop-in session to show support for improving electrical safety in the home.
He raised awareness of the importance and benefits of using a competent, registered electrician to householders via ElectricSafe. The campaign argues that this area is overlooked by some.
Around 3,340 people were admitted to hospital following an electric shock in the UK during 2010/11 and in 2011/12 there were 3,822 domestic electrical fires in Great Britain, resulting in 14 deaths.
The Deputy Speaker of the House of Commons said: “Electrical safety in the home is an important and life threatening issue as shown by the above statistics.
“It is important that the general public are aware of the simple steps they can take to reduce potential electrical risks in their home.
“The most important of these and a precaution we can all take is to hire a competent, registered electrician when requiring electrical work to be done in the home.
“I fully support the efforts of organisations like ElectricSafe that exist to raise awareness.”