Man sets himself on fire lighting barbecue

0
Have your say

A man has set fire to himself after lighting a barbecue using petrol.

Fire crews were called to Cleveleys Avenue in Fulwood after a man had attempted to light the charcoal barbecue, and accidentally set fire to himself.

Cleveleys Avenue, Preston. Picture: Google

Cleveleys Avenue, Preston. Picture: Google

A spokesman for Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service said: “On Sunday June 12 at an address in Preston a man resorted to using petrol to start a charcoal barbecue.

“It’s a very volatile fuel, meaning that on exposure to air it quickly becomes a highly flammable vapour that surrounds the person using it - that’s why petrol stations have notices up saying no smoking.

“The inevitable happened and when the man struck a light the vapour ignited and inflicted severe burns to his hand and arm.”

The incident happened at about 2.30pm.

The Fire Service made a video of what happened when someone else tried to light a barbecue using liquid fuel.