Fire chiefs are warning of the dangers posed by wood burning home fires in a new safety campaign.
Bosses say wood stoves and living room fires are becoming increasingly popular as low temperatures continue to bring a chill to the North West.
They warn that all appliances burning fuel produce carbon monoxide.
Bosses are also urging residents to have chimneys regularly swept.
Spokesman Kev Brogden said: “We’ve seen more people using wood burning stoves and open fires recently – they seem to have become popular again with all the DIY and makeover shows.
“But there are dangers associated with them if they aren’t used correctly such as carbon monoxide poisoning and fire.”
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headaches, dizziness, nausea and breathlessness. Fire bosses say professional fitters, regular maintenance and carbon monoxide alarms should always be used.
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Preston
Saturday 18 May 2013
Temperature: 7 C to 10 C
Wind Speed: 25 mph
Wind direction: West
Temperature: 10 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 15 mph
Wind direction: North west