DCSIMG

Woman rescued from flat blaze

Latest news

Latest news

Fast-acting firefighters saved the life of a woman who collapsed in her smoke-filled flat.

Crews were on the scene in minutes at Deerfold, Chorley and rescued the casualty who needed treatment from paramedics before being taken to hospital.

Later a fire officer revealed the ground floor flat had no working smoke alarms.

“This lady has been very lucky,” said watch manager Alex Fletcher. “Had the flat had working alarms then she would probably have got out much earlier.”

One crew was scrambled from Chorley - less than a mile from the scene of the blaze - after the woman was woken by choking thick smoke in her home and dialled 999. A second crew dashed from Bamber Bridge to assist with the emergency.

After summoning help the woman collapsed and when the first fire crew reached the flat she was found behind a door and carried to safety.

Watch manager Fletcher said: “It would appear she had put some food in a pan on the hob and then gone into the lounge where she was relaxing on the sofa and forgot about it.

“It caused enough smoke to fill the premises. Luckily for her, the lady was woken by the smoke and called 999.

“But because of the severity of the smoke she became disorientated and was unable to escape.

“She collapsed behind the door and that is where we found her. She was breathing and conscious when she was taken to hospital, but she had taken a lot of smoke in.”

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page