DCSIMG

UPDATE: Attack on Jonjo ‘not random’, say police

Waiting for Video...
 

Seven men have now been arrested on suspicion of murder following the “vicious and unprovoked” killing of a Preston teenager.

Detectives believe the death of Jonjo Highton, 18, on Saturday evening, was not a random attack, and said he was attacked by a group of people.

The man leading the investigation has now appealed for help to find two cars, thought to have been in the area that night.

Police were called to St Stephen’s Road in Deepdale at about 11.20pm on Saturday, after reports of a serious assault.

Emergency services that attended found Jonjo in the street with serious injuries.

He was pronounced dead at the scene.

An investigation led by the Force Major Investigation Team is continuing and seven men were on Tuesday in custody on suspicion of murder.

They are all men from Preston aged between 19 and 27.

Det Supt Eddie Thistlethwaite said: “We believe at least two cars pulled up at Charnock Street and St Stephen’s Road.

“We believe at least eight men got out of those vehicles and I’m appealing for witnesses.

“A group of those males then attacked Jonjo Highton needlessly and savagely.”

Police are now trying to locate a blue Vauxhall Vectra, registration KG04 EJ, which they believe was at the scene.

Det Supt Thistlethwaite said: “Has it been inadvertently purchased by anybody, has it been scrapped by an innocent scrap dealer, is it in a lock up?”

He said he didn’t believe Jonjo’s murder was a “race hate crime”, but said he thought he had been attacked by a “group of young people”.

He said: “We have got seven people in custody from 19 to 27, and they are being interviewed this week.

“Jonjo was quite savagely slashed and tragically that resulted in his death.”

For more on this story, see tomorrow’s Evening Post.

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page