Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service and Lancashire’s Trading Standards are warning residents to take extra care when using tumble dryers.
In 2012 firefighters responded to 57 house fires caused by tumble dryers, an increase of 40 per cent on 2011. In the first week of 2013 there were five fires with the same cause.
Lancashire’s deputy chief Fire Officer, Justin Johnston, advised dryers are not run overnight or when people are not in the house.
He said: “It is important that filters are regularly checked and cleaned to ensure they do not become blocked.
“A build up of fluff and lint inside the machine is a major fire risk. Machines should not be overloaded with clothes and the manufacturers’ instructions for use, including the maintenance, should be followed.”
Trading Standards is also urging owners of Beko 6kg and 7kg condenser dryers and White Knight condenser tumble dryers to check when they were made after the firms issued a warning some models could overheat.