A student and landlord were praised for being fire-savvy after a blaze in a terraced house was safely contained.
Firefighters were called to the student accommodation in Regent Street, Lancaster, after an electrical fault in a cooker hood sparked a blaze in the kitchen.
But the quick-thinking of one of the student occupants in alerting the other resident and vacating the building, before calling 999, meant no-one was injured. And fire officers say the damage was restricted to the kitchen because the landlord had fitted the correct fire door with smoke seals.
“The student who raised the alarm did all the right things by leaving, having alerted the other occupant, and phoned us from outside the building,” said a brigade spokesman.
“This was a good example of how correct safety measures prevented the fire damaging the rest of the house so no lives were put at risk.”