Firefighters praised a vigilant neighbour who helped rescue a sleeping man from his smoke-filled home.
Officers wearing breathing apparatus broke down the front door of the terraced house in Lorne Street, Chorley to pull the man to safety after a resident nearby had raised the alarm.
“Fortunately the neighbour heard the smoke alarm and called 999,” said crew manager Dave Williams from Chorley Fire Station. “If he hadn’t done that then things might have been far more serious.
“The man was still fast asleep when we got in there, so he’s been very lucky. He was checked out by paramedics but he was OK. It just show how important smoke alarms are.”
The neighbour called the fire brigade at 4.48am on Sunday after being awoken by the alarm next door. The man had fallen asleep on the couch after putting a pan of pasta on the kitchen hob.