A clever moggy used one of its nine lives after falling from her owner’s flat to the one below.
Eight-month-old Purdsy found her way into a gap behind the bathroom cupboard and ended up in the flat below.
It is thought that a wall in the bathroom of the Community Gateway Association flat had been removed some years ago. Purdsy’s owner Sandra Hamer of Laburnum Close, Holme Slack, Preston, explained: “I couldn’t find my kitten. It doesn’t go out so I wasn’t worried but at 4.15am I was woken up by the cat crying.
“Now my cat is deaf I looked everywhere, opened all the cupboards even the washing machine - no sign.
“I went to the bathroom and could hear her very loudly I opened the airing cupboard but couldn’t see her, I thought she hiding so I put some treats on the floor and went back to bed. I woke at 7am and went to bathroom, there was no sign of the cat but could hear her.
“I took everything out of cupboard and could still not see her, I heard a noise.
“When I looked down I could not believe it. There was a hole between two pipes and the cat was down there.
“I was looking after next door’s flat and thought I would check if every thing was okay as I knew it was too early to phone Gateway for advice.
“I went next door, went in the bathroom and as plain as anything I could hear my cat.
“It had fallen through the hole straight down into next door.”
With the help of the RSCPA Purdsy was freed. Sandra, 62, said she hadn’t notice the hole because all the shelves had been replaced by workmen. She has lived in the flat for 17 years and added: “I was advised to get in touch with Gateway as the opening in the bathroom wasn’t safe.
“The inspector has been out and says a fire wall has been removed and it is not safe. The inspector told me to lock the cupboard because I’ve got a two year-old grandaughter and it would be big enough for her to fall down if she decided to start routing. Two years ago asbestos was found in the flats and after being removed it was just left. He has now gone to consult colleagues as best way to deal with it.”
A spokesman for Community Gateway Housing Association said: “Following an inspection on September 16, we identified the gap where Purdsy managed to get through to the flat below.
“We have assessed the work required to ensure this does not happen again and we will be in contact with Mrs Hamer to arrange for the work to be completed. We would like to apologise for any inconvenience this has caused. We are also sending Purdsy some cat treats as we think she is a rather clever cat.”