A 93-year-old man was rescued from his home after a wooden footstool he left too close to a fire set alight.
Firefighters attended a bungalow in Parkside, Lea, Preston, at around 10.30pm on Wednesday.
Two officers wearing breathing apparatus entered the property.
Neil Mitchell, crew manager, said: “The gentleman was in bed at the time.
“It was called in by Community Gateway Association - I think he had requested help from them. The ambulance staff gave him some first aid at the scene but he was fine.
“The stool was destroyed in the fire and the actual house had light damage by smoke.
“Now that the weather has gone cold people need to make sure they don’t put flammable things near fires, at night turn off all non-essential electrical items and check their smoke alarms are working.”
Call 0800 169 1125 for a free smoke alarm or home safety check.