Businessman Krish Nandwana doesn’t usually have to deal with slippery customers.
So when he came face to face with a foot-long snake outside his Preston store, it was something he wasn’t prepared for.
The uninvited guest appeared outside his Aqueduct Mill wholesalers, and left the “terrified” man glued to the spot for 20 minutes.
Krish, 28, said he phoned police and they contacted a local animal charity who eventually caught the reptile, thought to be a smooth snake.
Krish locked up his unit on Sunday and was making his way to his car, when the silver-grey creature caught his eye.
He said: “When I was about to get in the car I noticed it next to my driver side door.
“At first I thought it was a piece of tyre rubber or something because there are two garages close to me.
“I’m from India so I’ve seen many snakes, but I’ve never heard of any snakes in the public area in this country.”
He then had to wait about 20 minutes for the snake to move before he could venture to open the door to his car.
He said: “It moved to the next unit, so I ran and sat down in my car. I don’t have enough knowledge about snakes so I didn’t know if it would be poisonous.
“I was terrified.”
Animal charity workers took about 50 minutes to get to the snake as it had slithered into a drainage line with tiny holes in.
Krish said: “They said it was only a five-day-old baby.
“But if it is only a five-day-old baby then family members might come around and visit!”
He added: “I want to let everyone know to be careful – I don’t know where it’s come from.
“It’s scary that we can’t let our kids play out.”
A Blackpool Zoo reptile expert said: “As far as we can see, it is a smooth snake which is native to the British Isles and isn’t harmful.”