A man had a lucky escape when he fell asleep after a night out, leaving a pan to burn.
Fire crews were contacted by a passing cyclist who heard the smoke alarm from the address in Preston’s Cemetery Road, at about 6.30am on Saturday.
Watch Manager Mark Woodward said two pumps attended, and fire fighters could smell smoke and see smoke through the curtains.
He said: “We were just about to make forcible entry when the occupant woke up.
“We went in and got him out - it was a small cooking fire.
“The key fire message is that he had come in after a night out and fallen asleep.
“He hadn’t even heard the alarm so he was lucky a passing cyclist heard it ans raised the alarm and potentially saved him from serious injury.”
Watch manager Woodward added: “After a night out, don’t come home and start cooking.
“Get a take away or prepare something cold, don’t start putting grills or chip pans on after a night out.”