DCSIMG

Late-night supper warning after teenage is rescued from a blaze

Latest news

Latest news

Firefighters have warned about the dangers of cooking food late at night after a teenager had to be rescued from a smoke-filled house.

The 19-year-old was led to safety after a communal smoke alarm went off and a fire crew smashed their way into his home.

“We get a number of these call-outs where people have started cooking a meal in the early hours and then fallen asleep,” said a fire brigade spokesman in Preston. “Fortunately there was a working alarm and that went off.

“But not everyone is so fortunate and incidents like this can end up far more serious.”

The fire crew were called to the house in Grange Avenue in the Grange area of Preston at around 2.30am. When they arrived they had to break down the front door to reach the man and were able to lead him to safety. The blaze started in a pan left on the cooker in the kitchen and the premises were full of smoke when the brigade arrived.

“The man was OK, he didn’t need hospital treatment,” added the spokesman.

“And the damage to the house was only minor.

“But the real message from this is please don’t put the cooker on late at night and then fall alseep.”

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page