DCSIMG

Lakes tragedy man released from hospital

Scene: Windermere yesterday

Scene: Windermere yesterday

A man who survived a suspected carbon monoxide leak which killed a woman and her daughter during a boating holiday has been released from hospital, police said.

Police said Kelly Webster, 36 and her daughter Lauren Thornton, 10 from Leyland died after suffering breathing difficulties on board a boat. A 39 year old man who was also on the boat is still recieving hospital treatment. The alarm was raised at 3.58pm yesterday when Cumbria Police and an ambulance were called to a private boat at Windermere as the three victims were enjoying a Bank Holiday afternoon.

A Cumbria Police spokesman confirmed that Ms Webster’s partner, Matthew Eteson, 39, also from Leyland, was the third person on board the private vessel.

He has now been released from Royal Lancaster Infirmary following treatment.

Emergency workers received reports they were suffering breathing difficulties.

A spokeswoman for Cumbria Police said: “We can confirm that at approximately 4pm today, we attended an incident at Windermere, where it was reported that three people on a private boat on Windermere were having serious breathing difficulties.

“A 36-year-old woman and a 10-year-old girl, both from the Leyland area, were treated at the scene and then airlifted to Royal Lancaster Infirmary. Unfortunately both have since tragically died.”

The spokeswoman added: “Police are currently investigating the circumstances of this tragic incident and trying to establish the full facts about what has happened.

“The coroner has been told.”

A spokeswoman for the North West Ambulance Service said they were called to the scene following reports the woman and young girl had suffered a cardiac arrest following carbon monoxide poisoning.

Cumbria Police were unable to confirm reports the deaths were a result of the odourless and colourless gas carbon monoxide.

Lynn Griffiths, president of the carbon monoxide charity CO-Awareness, said the deaths were ‘tragic’ and said there was a lack of public understanding of the dangers involved.

She said: “The public seem to think you can only be poisoned by carbon monoxide if you’ve got a faulty gas boiler, but it could be a gas cooker or bottles of gas on a caravan or boat.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page