A historic almshouse was severely damaged when a pensioner’s electric blanket caught fire.
Firefighters were called to Fox Lane in Leyland at around 10.15pm on Friday.
The fire gutted a bedroom, severely damaged a hall and caused smoke damage to the rest of the property, which was originally used to house workers in the 19th Century.
A 76-year-old woman and her friend were unharmed in the incident.
Watch manager Shaun Thornley said: “It looks like possibly a defective, old electric blanket has started the fire.
“The lady had been cold the night before and a friend was looking after her because she had a fall so they got out the blanket.
“She had been out of the room for a couple of minutes. The smoke alarm sounded and when she went back the bed was on fire.
“They evacuated the house and got a neighbour to call the fire service.”
Firefighters tackled the blaze for around three hours.
Watch manager Thornley said: “When we arrived the bedroom was well alight.
“As the crews approached the bedroom at the rear of the property the window broke with the heat and the flames were coming out of the window.
“The fire was attacked initially from outside and then officers wearing breathing apparatus went in and we used fans to attack the fire.
“The smoke alarm sounded which is so important - they are a massive lifesaver.
“The damage to the bedroom and its contents was severe by fire. There was damage by heat to the hall and the rest of the home was heavily smoke logged.”
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Preston
Saturday 18 May 2013
Temperature: 8 C to 11 C
Wind Speed: 22 mph
Wind direction: West
Temperature: 10 C to 17 C
Wind Speed: 16 mph
Wind direction: North west