DCSIMG

Driver led police on ‘danger chase’

Court news

Court news

A banned driver who led police on a dangerous chase around Preston has been jailed for two years.

Ronald Kirkham, 38, of Crowle Street, Fishwick, Preston, was spotted driving a Volkswagen Bora when he was banned from the roads.

He was seen at around 10.15am on July 19 on Scotforth Road, Preston Crown Court heard.

As police began to pursue the heavily convicted criminal around the New Hall Lane area, Kirkham led them on a dangerous “course of driving of nearly three miles”.

Prosecuting, Lisa Worsley told the court Kirkham went through a red light, clipping another motorist’s car and causing another car to slam on the brakes.

He then went the wrong way up two one-way streets at “excessive speeds” as the chase continued in Nevett Street and Salisbury Street in Callon.

Kirkham pleaded guilty to driving dangerously, driving while disqualified, and without insurance.

The court heard he was recalled to prison on licence, and with the new term imposed, he will be due out in August next year.

His defence told the court his guilty plea was a mitigating factor, and that he was not under the influence of drugs or drink at the time.

Kirkham is well known to the authorities in Preston and has a record of convictions for vehicle theft.

The Evening Post previously revealed his offending started at the age of 12.

Det Insp Keith Lee, of Preston police, said: “ We will take all motoring matters very seriously.”

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page