Firefighters have issued a safety warning about candles after a fire at a Preston home.
Crews were called to a house on Golborne Street at around 12.30pm on Saturday after a candle was left burning in a glass holder.
The homeowner had left the candle burning while her teenage daughter was asleep upstairs.
Watch manager Gary Kiyani, of Preston Fire Station, said: “The mum had gone out and had left the candle burning in an unsuitable holder.
“The candle had heated up the glass enough to melt the table mat it had been left on, and it shattered the glass.
“Fortunately, the smoke alarm sounded and the daughter was able to throw the glass and the mat outside.
“The fire could have easily spread to the kitchen and it could have been a very serious incident.
“This reiterates the importance of having working smoke alarms and we would urge people to make sure candles are left in suitable holders.
“For the sake of a few extra pounds, it could make a real difference.”