The Prime Minister David Cameron has said he is “profoundly sorry” for the “double injustice” of the Hillsborough disaster.
Mr Cameron addressed the House of Commons following an independent report into previously unseen documents about what happened on April 15, 1989.
The disaster at an FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest at Sheffield Wednesday’s ground claimed the lives of 96 people, including Gerard Baron, 67, of Sawley Crescent, Ribbleton, Preston, and Royal Preston Hospital worker Christine Jones, 27, of Marsh Way, Penwortham, and injured hundreds.
Mr Cameron apologised for the “failure of the state to protect their loved ones and the indefensible wait to get to the truth”, and efforts to denigrate the deceased and suggest they were “somehow at fault for their own deaths”.
He said details in the report were “deeply distressing” and showed Liverpool fans “were not the cause of the disaster”.
The Lancashire victims also included 15-year-old Philip Steele, of Wilmcote Grove, Ainsdale, Southport, Nicholas Joynes, 26, of Nursery Road, Lydiate, near Ormskirk, and Colin Sefton, 23, of New Church Farm, Skelmersdale.
Preston man Mark Aspden, 19 at the time, was crushed in the tragedy but survived after he was critically ill in hospital.