DCSIMG

Advice on carbon monoxide following tragedy on cruiser

Lauren Thornton, 10, and her mother Kelly Webster, 36, both from Leyland, who died from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning while on a boating holiday in Windermere in the Lake District

Lauren Thornton, 10, and her mother Kelly Webster, 36, both from Leyland, who died from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning while on a boating holiday in Windermere in the Lake District

Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service has issued advice and information on carbon monoxide, following the deaths of a Leyland mother and daughter from suspected poisoning.

The main symptoms for carbon monoxide poisoning are headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, collapsing and a loss of consciousness.

A spokesman for the service said: “Carbon monoxide symptoms are similar to flu, food poisoning, viral infections and simply tiredness.

“That’s why it’s quite common for people to mistake this very dangerous poisoning for something else.

“Other signs that could point to carbon monoxide poisoning are when your symptoms only occur when you are at home, your symptoms disappear or get better when you leave home and come back when you return, or when others in your household are experiencing symptoms and they appear at a similar time.”

He added: “If you experience any of the symptoms get fresh air immediately, open doors and windows, turn off gas appliances and leave the house.”

Carbon monoxide is a highly poisonous substance produced by the incomplete burning of gas and Liquid Petroleum Gas.

This happens when a gas appliance has been incorrectly fitted, badly repaired or poorly maintained. It can also occur if flues, chimneys or vents are blocked.

Signs of appliance problems include:

n Lazy yellow or orange flames on a cooker

n Dark staining around or on appliances

n Pilot lights that frequently blow out

n Increased condensation inside windows

Police ivestigating the deaths of Kelly Webster, 36, and Lauren Thornton, 10, on board a boat in Windermere say that all signs point to some form of gas poisoning, though this is not confirmed.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page