A man killed having been hit by a car on the M6 is believed to be in his 40s and from the Preston area.
A Highways Agency spokesman confirmed only one lane of the northbound carriageway remained closed at around 4pm on Monday.
It is anticipated that the fourth lane will reopen at around 6pm.
It follows an incident where a man was killed after a collision with a car near Junction 31a of the M6 at Preston at 1.30pm.
The man, who has not been identified, was pronounced dead at the scene.
Sgt John Allwright confirmed the man was killed on the carriageway and had not jumped from a nearby bridge at Longridge Road, Ribbleton,
He said: “We are still dealing with this incident and accident investigation work is taking place on the northbound carriageway.
“The southbound carriageway is open and traffic is moving but moving slowly.
“This is because motorists are rubbernecking which is slowing the flow of the traffic down considerably.
“Rubbernecking is dangerous and those travelling on the southbound carriageway need to concentrate on the road in front of them and not looking across to the scene of the incident.”
The southbound carriageway reopened at around 2pm with one lane of the northbound carriageway also open to relieve long tailbacks already building in the area.
An eye-witness said around 30 other vehicles had stopped on the carriageway around the man close to the bridge at Longridge Road, Preston.
A spokesman for Preston Bus confirmed a number of its services around the city had been delayed as a result of the congestion.
Are you caught in the traffic chaos? Email email@example.com or telephone 01772 838107.