Forty firefighters spent three hours tackling a blaze at a takeaway.
The fire started in the chip range at Charcoal Hut in New Hall Lane, Fishwick, Preston, at 9.41pm on Saturday as the owner prepared food.
Flames spread to nearby ducting and then to material between the ceiling and a flat above.
A stretch of New Hall Lane was closed by police as firefighters evacuated the shop and nearby flats.
A spokesman for Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service said: “The owner of the shop tried to put it out himself at first, but then called us in.
“When we got there we quickly evacuated the premises and the flat above, and luckily nobody was hurt.
“The fire spread very quickly, and about 30 per cent of the building has been damaged.
“The kebab shop and the flat are in a bad way, and we’ll be returning with a building inspector to survey the damage.”
It is thought that a woman living in the flat above the shop is now living temporarily with a friend nearby.
Yesterday, the shop, on the corner of New Hall Lane and Redmayne Street, had shutters down and a pile of charred carpet, wood and cooking trays in a pile outside.
The owner of Classic Cuts hairdressing salon next door, who asked not to be named, arrived to inspect her building.
She said: “My daughter was walking down Moor Lane and could smell it, so she followed all the blue lights.
“When she realised it was next to my salon, she called me panicking.
“By the time I got down here, they’d shut the road off and everyone was outside looking what was going on.
“There was smoke coming out of the windows and people were saying that the floorboards in the flat had gone.
“I stayed for about an hour and a half, because I was worried it was going to spread to the salon, and I’ve got a load of chemicals in there for hairdressing.
“The firefighters didn’t want me to go in at the time, so I spent all night worrying what state my place was going to be in. It seems to be alright though, I’ve been lucky.”