A teenager who had to have her stomach removed to save her life after drinking a cocktail made with liquid nitrogen is awaiting the outcome of an investigation a year after the ordeal.
Gaby Scanlon, now 19, of Heysham, near Lancaster, went to Oscar’s Wine Bar in Lancaster last October to celebrate her 18th birthday.
She drank two “Nitro Jagermeisters” at Oscar’s Wine Bar and the drinks had been made with liquid nitrogen to give them a steaming effect.
Gaby began feeling breathless and unwell after drinking the cocktails and after developing severe stomach pains, Gabby was rushed to the Royal Lancaster Infirmary where medics performed emergency surgery to remove her stomach.
It turned out the minus 196 degree chemical had burned a hole in Gaby’s stomach leading to the entire stomach having to be removed.
Surgeons revealed Gaby was lucky to survive as it could have led to peritonitis and been fatal.
A spokesman from Lancaster Council which is looking into whether any health and safety breaches occurred, said: “The investigation is still ongoing.”
Manchester law firm Pannone, which is representing Gaby, has confirmed that the civil claim into the case is also still underway.
Neither Gaby nor her mother, Lisa Henshall, of Heysham, wanted to comment until the outcome of these matters.
The Food Standards Agency has reported no further liquid nitrogen incidents since Gaby’s experience.
Liquid nitrogen, which evaporates at minus 196c, is used to instantly freeze food and drinks or create a vapour effect.
Oscar’s Wine Bar on George Street, Lancaster, has declined to comment on the issue.