Homes evacuated after electricity pylon catches fire

Tracey's Garage, Wigan Road, Leyland. Photo taken from Google Maps.

Tracey's Garage, Wigan Road, Leyland. Photo taken from Google Maps.

0
Have your say

A host of homes and businesses were evacuated when a pylon set alight this morning.

Bamber Bridge fire service were called to the electricity pylon fire just behind Tracey’s Garage, Wigan Road, Leyland at around 10.30am.

The fire service say the fire was most probably due to a fault with the electrical equipment.

A spokesman for the fire service said: “The fire involved an electricity pylon.

“Some members of the public from nearby were evacuated as a precaution and engineers from Electricty North West also attended.

“Once the engineers arrived on scene they were able to isolate the supply and firefighters extinguished the residual fires using a hose real.

“We were at the scene for approximately three hours.

“We think the fire was most probably down to some sort of fault with the electrical equipment.”