A couple and their eight children have been treated for carbon monoxide poisoning at their Chorley home.
The mother, who had been experiencing severe headaches for some weeks, decided to call firefighters to the family home in Firtree Close at 3am yesterday morning.
The youngest child was eight weeks old and the eldest in their teens.
Chorley crew manager Ian Turnbull said: “It’s not strictly something that we deal with, but the family didn’t know who to call.
“The girls in our control room put two and two together from the call and decided that there was a need for the gas board and paramedics.
“When we got there we helped to give the family oxygen and we were told that there was some concern over the open gas fire.
“Although we’re not gas engineers, we thought that it wasn’t burning properly and isolated the fire until the gas board arrived.”
He added: “I would urge anyone with an open gas fire to fit a carbon monoxide detector.”
The family were taken to Chorley Hospital for precautionary checks.