DCSIMG

‘Hazardous’ city restaurant could have licence revoked

High risk: The China House restaurant in Aqueduct Street

High risk: The China House restaurant in Aqueduct Street

Report identifies ‘catalogue of ineptitude’ and blames ‘mismanagement’ at premises

A Chinese restaurant dubbed a “hazard” faces losing its licence after a catalogue of complaints and incidents.

China House in Aqueduct Street, Preston, will be scrutinised at a meeting of Preston Council’s licensing sub committee on Friday.

Police asked for a review of its premises licence on the grounds the restaurant was failing to meet the objectives of “preventing crime and disorder, the prevention on public nuisance and the promotion of public safety”.

Senior environmental health officer Ian Massey said in a report to the committee that a great deal of time and effort had been spent by all agencies on the “mismanagement” of the premises.

China House operates from what was formerly a public house on Aqueduct Street.

Mr Massey said there had been numerous incidents at the premises, including gas leaks, poor food safety management, smoking offences and dumping of rubbish.

There has also been complaints of noise and nuisance in the early hours, including karaoke singing and noise until 6am.

Mr Massey said in his report: “Due to the catalogue of ineptitude compromising the licensing objectives, it would be hoped the licensing committee would revoke the premises
licence, as far too much council officer time (along with other responsible authorities and agencies) has been spent on these premises.”

Fire safety officer Michael Bradley Walker said in a report that the fire service had made 37 visits over the last four years.

He said he had “never known one premise need so much attention from our fire safety staff”.

Mr Walker said issues included no premises fire risk assessment, no training or maintenance records, and an insufficient fire alarm system.

Bags had been placed over smoke alarms and there was also evidence that people had been sleeping on upper floors of the premises.

Council housing standards team manager Les Crosbie wrote: “The ongoing management of this business presents a significant risk of further hazardous situations arising.”

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page