Plans to transform the Coach House in Hurst Grange Park, Penwortham, into a visitor centre have been approved.
The approval, by South Ribble Council’s planning committee, comes a year after a major restoration appeal was launched by the Friends of Hurst Grange Park.
Their aim is to turn the currently vacant building into a place for the community and a base for the neighbourhood police.
The ground floor of the building will have an exhibition/display area, two flexible use spaces, a kitchen and toilet facilities.
The flexible uses’ spaces would be used for community events and meetings.
The existing roller shutter doors will be removed and new window openings will be inserted.
An external courtyard will be formed at the rear of the building, for use as a small workshop area and for storage space.
Funds have been raised through a ‘buy a brick’ appeal, and it is hoped that phase one of the renovations will begin by late summer this year.
The Coach House, which was built around 1850, has previously been used as a council depot and a regional scouting base.
It is currently being used as a base for the friends’ group.