An appeal against a decision to sink plans for a housing development on golf course land has been thrown out.
An application for up to 164 houses, on part of Ingol golf course, had been rejected by councillors, against the advice of their own officers.
They feared the estate would lead to a loss of green space, and said the redesigned golf course offered a “significantly inferior and fundamentally flawed layout” and would “jeopardise the long-term future of the golf club”.
They also raised concerns over the impact on the identity of local neighbourhoods, and the value of the area of major open space.
The decision was appealed at a public inquiry, and the inspector backed the council’s rejection.
A report to Preston Council’s planning committee said at the time the recommendation for approval was made, the authority could not demonstrate a five-year supply of housing, but that situation has since changed.
It said: “Taking this change in circumstances into account, the council’s representatives presented a robust case at the appeal to demonstrate that the proposal would cause harm to the surrounding area and the AMOS (area of major open space) and would not represent sustainable development.
“The inspector agreed with the council’s evidence.”
At Thursday’s planning meeting, principal planning officer Phil Cousins said: “The inspector agreed with nearly all the evidence put forward, so it was a very positive result.” Coun Pauline Brown, who represents Ingol ward, thanked officers, and said it would make a “very big difference” to people in the area.
The report said the former Ingol course had closed in January 2010.
It said in September 2013 the owners were granted a 15-year lease, excluding holes six, seven and eight, which was the site subject to the appeal.
The new operators reconfigured the course.