Four people escape kitchen blaze

Latest news from lep.co.uk

Latest news from lep.co.uk

1
Have your say

Four people escaped from a smoke-filled terraced house late at night after a tumble drier caught fire.

One man needed oxygen after inhaling smoke as he tried to put the blaze out.

Firefighters also saved the family’s pet cat as they fought the flames which badly damaged the kitchen of the property in The Crescent, Chorley on Friday night.

Later a fire brigade spokesman said: “Fortunately the house was fitted with a working smoke alarm and everyone got out. It just shows how important these alarms are.

“Two of the people were in their seventies. They had all been sitting watching TV when the fire started.

“One man had to be led to safety and we gave him oxygen until the paramedics arrived. He was fine when they checked him over and he didn’t need to go to hospital.

“He had tried to put the fire out, but couldn’t.

“But that’s the thing, it isn’t worth trying to tackle something like that yourself because you can quickly be overcome by smoke. Just get out and call us out.

“The kitchen was almost completely gutted and the house was not habitable.”

The brigade’s Red Cross emergency support vehicle turned out to assist the family, who were taken to a local hotel for the night.