Former PNE player Clarke Carlisle has left hospital

PHOTO: NEIL CROSS'Clarke Carlisle -  feature about his battle with alcohol addiction and depression

PHOTO: NEIL CROSS'Clarke Carlisle - feature about his battle with alcohol addiction and depression

6
Have your say

Former Preston North End player Clarke Carlisle has left hospital six weeks after he was seriously injured in a collision with a lorry.

Carlisle’s wife, Gemma, revealed on Twitter that she was bringing her husband home and thanked fans for their “amazing support and love”.

The 35-year-old former Professional Footballers’ Association chairman was seriously injured on the A64, near York, on December 22.

The collision came two days after he was charged with a drink-driving offence of failing to provide a sample.

Today, Mrs Carlisle said on Twitter: “Nearly 6 weeks on... Today I’m collecting Mr C to come home full time! Thanks once again for your amazing support and love. #luckytobehere”

Fans tweeted their reactions to the news.

One Twitter-user said: “Great news, Carlisle is a fantastic genuine guy!”

Another replied: “Great news, nothing like recovering in your own home with your family around you, i know from experience! #HomeboundClarke”

North Yorkshire Police launched an investigation into the circumstances of the incident and appealed for witnesses.

Since the collision, a host of footballers, former clubs, organisations and charities have used social media to send messages of support to Carlisle and his family.

Carlisle was due to appear at Highbury Magistrates’ Court, in north London, earlier this month to face the drink-driving charge but the hearing was adjourned to a later date.