Two flats had to be evacuated after a rubbish fire at the back of a takeaway.
Firefighters from Preston and Fulwood were called to the properties in Plungington Road at 8.40pm on Sunday.
When crews arrived, the two occupiers of one of the flats above the takeaway were being helped out by neighbours who had put a ladder up to the front window. The occupiers of the other flat were climbing down the fire escape at the back of the flat.
Preston station manager Neil Taylor said: “A pile of cardboard was on fire near the flats, and the two properties became smoke logged.
“We believe the fire started accidentally. It had the potential to be serious, it was a close call, but the flats had smoke detectors hardwired, and that alerted the occupants.”
Firefighters rescued a cat and a dog from the flats.