Two Preston firefighters will be commended for their efforts in helping save people trapped in burning buildings.
Robert Bradley, from Tarleton, and Alyson Noblett, from Preston, will be given the chief fire officer’s commendation at a ceremony on Thursday.
Alyson was working on fire control at Lancashire Fire and Rescue’s HQ when she got a 999 call to say a man was trapped by a fire in the bedroom of his flat on Watling Street Road, Brookfield, Preston.
It was nearly midnight and a candle had been left burning too close to the arm of a sofa in the lounge.
The man began to panic as the fire spread to the sofa, the curtains, the ceiling and the window frames.
Fire crews were on their way, but Alyson had to be assertive as the man was overcome by smoke.
She ordered him to shut his bedroom door and put a quilt along the bottom of it to hold the smoke back.
She then told him to lie on the floor below the smoke layer that was forming in the room. Firefighters arrived and rescued the man, after the incident in November 2011, and he went on to make a full recovery.
She will be joined at the ceremony by Robert Bradley, who took a 999 call in December 2011, from a 14-year-old youngster who was trapped with her 12-year-old sister at their grandfather’s home on Nateby Avenue, Blackpool.
All three were trapped by smoke from a defective portable electric heater in the hallway.
There was no smoke detector in the house and it has been described as ‘pure good fortune’ that the youngster woke when she did and realised what was happening.
All three were awaiting rescue as Robert reassured them help was on its way.
At one point he prevented them from making a potentially lethal attempt to climb out of the bedroom window.
Firefighters arrived and rescued all three, who were uninjured.