Traffic was disrupted for up to three hours today as firefighters tackled a blaze in offices at a busy road intersection.
Two crews from Preston raced to the premises of City Investment and Insurance at Lane Ends, Preston at around 11.30am.
Staff had to be evacuated as officers in breathing apparatus dealt with a fire caused by a storage heater.
A fire brigade spokesman said: “It would appear a storage heater had fallen off the wall and set floorboards alight.
“Our crews had to cut away the damaged flooring and use a thermal imaging camera to check for further burning.”
Managing director Martin Newton said: “We’re very lucky the place wasn’t guttted because the heater could have been smouldering on the floor overnight.
“The offices will be out of action for a few weeks now. But fortunately we can all work from home and customers will be able to contact us on our mobiles.”