Health chiefs have issued a plea for people not to get carried away over Christmas by drinking too much.
Alcohol is a poison and can be toxic enough to kill. Long term over-consumption of alcohol also increases the chances that drinkers will suffer from a range of health problems including heart and liver diseases, obesity, and mental illness.
Dr David Wrigley, a GP in Carnforth and a member of NHS Lancashire North Clinical Commissioning Group, said: “Many people are risking their health by regularly drinking too much and probably don’t realise they’re drinking more than they should be.
“That’s why it’s more important than ever to remember to drink sensibly over the festive season.”
Experts recommend people decide how much they plan to drink and stick to it. They also advise people avoid rounds, as buying rounds means people often drink more than they want.
Find your nearest service by visiting www.nhs.uk