DCSIMG

Development plan for former water depot site

Homes plan: Developers want to built 34 homes on the former North West Water Depot, Longridge Road, Ribbleton

Homes plan: Developers want to built 34 homes on the former North West Water Depot, Longridge Road, Ribbleton

A development of new homes is set to be built at the site of the former North West Water Depot in Ribbleton.

Detailed plans for the estate of 34 homes have been lodged with Preston Council, after outline permission was granted in 2012.

Applicant Galliford Try Partnerships and Michael James have submitted proposals to build 16 semi-detached homes, six terraced homes and a three-storey block of 12 two-bedroomed flats.

A planning statement from agents Euan Kellie Property Solutions said the client was seeking to create a “high quality, sustainable residential development”.

It said that all homes will be available for “affordable rent”.

The statement said: “As part of the proposals a new pedestrian and vehicle access has been designed from Grange Avenue with a pedestrian and cycle link connecting to Longridge Road.

“This will provide a sustainable link through to public transport connections and local amenities.”

It added: “In sum, the proposals will represent sustainable development in a sustainable location, meet the key requirements of national and local planning policy and should therefore be granted without delay.”

The reserved matters application, relating to the former depot site and a property on Longridge Road, will be considered at a meeting of the city council’s planning committee on February 3 and is recommended for approval.

A report to members said: “The proposal provides an appropriate scale, layout and design of development with appropriate access, connectivity and parking that integrates into its surroundings.

“As such, the proposal complies with the relevant provisions of the development plan and there are no material considerations which outweigh this finding.”

Ribbleton Coun Jonathan Saksena said he had been concerned about the access plans, but they had been agreed in 2012 at an earlier planning stage.

But he said he “couldn’t see any problem” with the reserved matters that had been submitted and described the homes as “carefully designed”.

He said: “We’ve got to increase the provision of affordable homes - we can’t keep grabbing land everywhere.

“Brownfield sites are definitely what we should be looking at.”

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page